Thursday, January 1, 2009

HAPPY 2009!

Happy New Year to everyone! I hope all goes well with you and your family throughout this new year.

So the past week (December 24th - December 31st) I've been at my grandma's house in Chinatown sleeping over since my cousins Pauline and her brother Sean came over from Atlanta, GA like they mostly do.. except Sean's been coming to NY more. Well, I've mostly been staying up late, shopping, eating, and playing Mario Karts on my cousin's Nintendo DS, lols. I bought a few things from Soho and Seaport; a gray jacket (for $9.99), a black dressy top (for $9.99), a pair of Nike sneakers with neon green (for $30 @ Michael K) and a cream colored fleece from Abercrombie&Fitch. Overall, I'm happy I got to spend a lot of time with my dad's side of the family because I don't see them that much and usually the time Pauline and her family comes over is the time us cousins bond together.

The funny thing is that Sean and Pauline's dad was sick then Sean got sick from his dad, then Judy came with the fever, cough and runny nose. Yesterday, Jacky felt sick and today I have the coughs! Thanks a lot guys!

But on Monday, December 29th, I hung out with Josephine as we went to Macy's and American Eagle in 34th St. Herald Square. It was seriously PACKED for a MONDAY in New York City, probably due to the holidays... ughs! It was so hard to get around because of these tourists! Anyways, Josephine and I had lunch at Chipotle where she got a humongous stuffed fajita burrito haha! I'm happy I was able to hang out with her before she goes back to Virginia.

Our main television which we use in the big bedroom broke. So now we're stuck with our old SMALL television (about 13 inches according to my dad) to watch the ball drop. It was no fun and you know how your parents always tell you to move back from the TV screen? Yeah... you HAD to move closer because the screen was that small. NO ONE was used to that small thing and we had that when my parents got married in May '90.. like it was probably in the garage for all these years. But at least we're going to get a new TV!

Today, I spent the afternoon with my boyfriend♥ We watched Slumdog Millionaire at AMC Empire 25 in Times Square 42nd St. I have never heard of this movie on TV or even the internet but his friends said it was really good so we had to watch it. It was AMAZING, like one of my all-time favorite movies now. It was so interesting and there were sad parts. ): It was hilarious to hear M.I.A's Paper Plane song, haha but nonetheless, I sang along. Like seriously, the movies that don't have as much previews or advertisements become so interesting and great movies that I've seen. Anyways after that, we walked to KTOWN in W 32nd St. to get some food and then boyfriend♥ realized he lost his phone. Oh boy, so after calling his phone with my cell that died in the middle of the conversation with the person who found his phone and getting change to call his phone with a pay phone, we walked all the way back in the cold to get his phone after eating. Finally we got the phone back and then we walked back again to Manhattan Mall to browse around but didn't see anything except for a Jimmy Z t-shirt which a worker thought really fit me because of my skinny body. I don't know whether that's a good thing that my body's that thin though, but anyways. OH OH! We also got 2 boxes each of M&M's Premiums in Mint Chocolate, Mocha and Chocolate Almond! The Chocolate Almond is delicious!! But the mean guy and lady were like oh you can't help yourself and stuff when we've been doing that to the past few wagons that had M&M's Premiums on it, like this girl got all pissed because of that lady haha. The lady grabbed the box back from the girl and was like you can't help yourself. Because apparently everyone was only allowed to have ONE box, but like f*ck that if you're in NYC it's every person for themselves haha!


Here's the Yahoo! Movies full description of the movie: The story of Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating; how could a street kid know so much? Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures together on the road, of vicious encounters with local gangs, and of Latika, the girl he loved and lost. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to one of the game show's questions. Intrigued by Jamal's story, the jaded Police Inspector begins to wonder what a young man with no apparent desire for riches is really doing on this game show? When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the Inspector and sixty million viewers are about to find out...

"I'll keep this simple: Cancel whatever you're doing tonight and go see "Slumdog Millionaire" instead." - Ty Burr of The Boston Globe

Boston Globe, Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, E! Online, filmcritic.com, Hollywood Reporter, New York Post, New York Times, ReelViews, Rolling Stone, San Francisco Chronicle, USA Today gave good responses and grades and some were like... ehh.. they deserved more but maybe because they're harsh and have more requirements in their mind of a good movie. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and criteria which makes a good movie. Yahoo users' critics averaged to an A whereas the Critics averaged grade was a B+.

In my opinion, it was so worth it to get up at 9:30am just to make it to the earlier show 11:05am just to watch it. It was simply amazing and I love the flashbacks to how he tells his story of his life to prove that he knew the answers through the memories of his life. It was like each question on the Who Wants to be a Millionaire show was some of the chapters in his life that got him to that point. It got so tense when he wanted to call his brother but the girl had his phone! I'm so glad Jamal and Latika are together in the end, too bad for Salim but he was an a*shole to Jamal as they both grew up.



Anyways, Chinese take out for dinner since my mom and brother are out. I don't think I have much planned to do tonight. Anyways, Happy 2009!

♥]... WU.KATHERINE

No comments:

Post a Comment